Sunday 7 May 2017

Stand Up and Be Counted


Tuesday is election day in BC. I hear on the grapevine that May 30 will see Nova Scotians headed to the polls, as well. Democracy is alive and well from coast to coast.

Or is it?

I’ve consistently voted Orange in provincial elections, mostly because they supposedly support working people and social programs. I won’t say I’ll never vote Red because, who knows, one day a miracle might happen and they’ll start caring about constituents over capitalism. And voting Green seemed futile to my jaundiced eye. Too young, too new, too untried. Too naive. Better to stick with the old guard and be assured of ... what? The same old song and dance, that’s what.

There was a time (wasn’t there?) when politics was about people, not power. Nowadays, the big guns seem more concerned with slagging each other than explaining to me how they intend on making my life better. The money spent on attack ads is sickening. Pointing fingers and proclaiming “Red’s not working for you” while neglecting to say how Orange will has me seriously considering where to cast my ballot.

The Orange candidate in my riding is a seasoned pro. She’s been around forever, and was even the leader of the party for a while, until some internal stupidity had them punting her in favour of blanc mange in a suit. I like her. I believe in her willingness to work for the folks in her riding ... but she’s old guard. They’re all old guard, and the future belongs to the young ’uns.

But how can the young ’uns get anywhere if they have no experience? I’m going Green this year, not just because they talk about serving the public instead of their own interests (I can hear the cynics now – “Ru, you starry-eyed dolt, they’ll say anything for a chance to serve their own interests!”), but because they are young and idealistic, and they need to get some experience before their party can pose a real threat to Punch and Judy.

Green has no chance of winning this election. None. Zero, zip, zilch. I know that. I hope, however, to help create an imbalance that results in a minority government for whichever of the usual suspects does win. I also hope to give the next generation some work experience before their party gains enough support to form a government because, eventually, I think they will.

Is there such a thing as a wasted vote? There is. A wasted vote is a vote not cast at all. It’s also a vote against democracy. Freedom may be our birthright, but too many in the world have been robbed of that right by those who seek to rule over them. Voting has become a privilege, hard won on the backs and by the blood of those who’ve gone before us, and opting out is more than copping out. It’s disrespectful both to them, and to the people elsewhere in the world who have no say in who governs them. Sure, your candidate may lose, but your voice will still be heard. And if he/she loses, you can complain with impunity. If he/she wins, not so much—but one might argue that you asked for it. At least you’ll have a say in the outcome.

Vote. Please. Vote to keep (insert colour) out. Vote to get (insert colour) in. Don’t like either of them? Vote for the independent candidate and tip the balance in favour of the opposition. Vote for the future. Vote for the generation who must solve the problems we’ve created for them.

Most importantly, once more with feeling, vote because you can.

Still unconvinced? Then let me introduce to you the President of the United States ...

No comments:

Post a Comment