Sunday 1 April 2018

No Foolin’



I have never, ever appreciated practical jokes. Admittedly, I laugh at those played between characters on a sitcom, but gags unleashed on innocent people for the amusement of others is cruel. I am enraged when my alarm clock goes off; the adrenaline jolt from being the butt of a practical joke might turn me homicidal if it doesn’t give me a heart attack first. I can’t imagine anyone likes being the subject of someone else’s prank—unless the prank turns on the prankster and then who looks the idiot?

So April Fools’ is my least favourite calendar occasion. I hold Valentine’s Day in higher esteem, and how little I feel about February 14 is no secret. I do, however, enjoy the irony of April 1 being the first day of the government’s new fiscal year; it seems appropriate, given the unbridled shenanigans we all endure as public servants and/or good taxpaying citizens.

Personal feelings aside, I recognize some folks have a softer view of April Fools’ Day and might enjoy being duped. They may also expect it, which would negate the tone of a more serious piece should such an individual happen on this blog. Which is why I decided to post my (sort of) Easter-themed Sunday piece tomorrow instead.

Oscar Wilde said that life is too important to be taken seriously. Stephen Hawking said life would be tragic if it wasn’t so funny. I won’t deny that (insert deity here) has a sense of humour since if the Creator of All There Is didn’t have one, neither would we. I’m grateful for my ability to laugh at myself, to laugh at life’s absurdities, and to laugh at other people’s perceptions of same. I hope I have never laughed at someone else’s unsuspecting expense, and the best (or worst) practical joke I can think of it is to forward my work phone to the Premier’s office. I won’t do it, though. After all, the Premier doesn’t answer his own phone. A harried and unsuspecting civil servant does, and would probably not appreciate the joke.

Happy Fiscal New Year, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment