Sunday 23 June 2013

The Importance of Tea (Part III)

“Neutralitea”

Waiting for writing to happen ...


You know how I drink tea that befits my characters? Well, if I don’t get Jake’s story finished before the Whiskey White runs out, I’m in trouble. I’ve got two teaspoons and two scenes left, and while it’s absurd to believe that tea affects whether or not a project gets done, I also subscribe to professional superstition. Everyone has them, so I’m not completely off the rails by admitting this. I am also confident that I will finish Jake’s story as his tea runs out. Don’t ask how I know; I just do.

So what do I do when I’m writing myself? I had some blog stuff to do this morning and I needed tea to accompany the task. I scoured my stores in search of something unassociated with anyone’s story and made a curious discovery. I have no tea that defines Ru. How hilarious is that? Everything I have is specific to either a character or a time of day – sweet creamy black, for instance, is designated for my afternoon break-from-the-computer, and chamomile is always drunk after dinner. But for my own writing, for personal non-fiction or journaling or blogging or whatever you call it, I got nuttin’.
 
I picked White Butterfly. It’s as neutral a tea as one can get, a blank page, if you will, so devoid of either colour or flavour that one may ask why it would be drunk at all. Good question. I bought it because it’s reminiscent of apricots, and when I say reminiscent, I mean that you have to conjure it in your head, otherwise you’re basically drinking hot water. It’s tea without a character. A tea waiting to happen. Kind of like an empty computer screen or a fresh page in my blog log. Who knows what magic may come of it?

If nothing else, it got its own post!

3 comments:

  1. Tea without a character - I like that. A lot.

    Magic is magic is magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee, Nic, maybe you could write a poem about it? I think there's one in the concept; I'm just not talented enough to tease it out.

      Delete