Tuesday 11 February 2014

Random Acts



What a week! Mercury is in retrograde, the full moon is looming, and Valentine’s Day urges love to conquer all. Yeeeeah—good luck with the third when the first two are in effect.

But seriously, folks, February 9 to 15 is “Random Acts of Kindness Week”. I know because the Rumi calendar in the kitchen says so, not because it’s been widely publicized. And why is that? It should be publicized. Kindness should be encouraged rather than regarded with deep suspicion. Our souls are by nature generous, compassionate and loving, inclined to kindness without prompting … yet our combined intellect has created a world of harsh planes and jagged angles, the “eat or be eaten” culture of status and greed and aggression.

If only we weren’t so darned intelligent.

Recently, I saw a documentary called “I Am”, the story of a successful Hollywood director who sustained a critical injury that started him on a journey to learn what the world is all about. I’m giving you a crummy Coles Notes summary; the show should be required viewing in high school and college classes throughout the western world, then shown with subtitles everywhere else. I loved it. One scene in particular inspired me, and if I had the courage, I’d re-enact it at the inner harbour or at the mall.

This pilgrim in pursuit of his true self made up a sign and offered free hugs to anyone who wanted one. People were practically lining up, laughing and blushing and crying over something as simple and loving as the human touch. Wow. Imagine how much happier we’d all be if we were hugged more often. I’ve heard that three hugs a day is the minimum to maintain a healthy self-esteem. Many of us don’t see three hugs in a week.

I love hugs. I happily give big, double-clutching, full frontal body hugs on request. But could I offer them to strangers? What if I offered and nobody accepted? I could do it in a group, for sure. But on my own? Nice idea, Ru. Let’s just keep it that way.

Still, kindness needn’t be a contact sport. It needn’t even go beyond home, beyond yourself. Seek opportunities to be kind—to friends, co-workers, family, the Bucky’s barista or the kid corralled in a shopping cart. Heck, be kind to yourself. You’ll find it spreads pretty quickly.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE hugs and I get so few. Maybe today when I'm on my commute home I'll grab a handsome stranger and bear hug him for fun! That's considered a kindness, yes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwahahaha! I wonder what would happen if you did ;)

      Delete