Thursday 12 November 2015

War (What Is It Good For?)


This post was inappropriate for Remembrance Day, though it was prompted by the occasion. Every year, I see the poppies come out. I pin one on my own coat from respect from the fallen, but I don’t believe in war.

I wonder how many of the soldiers who fight them do believe in it.

I tried to write an appropriately respectful piece about conflict on a global scale, the horrors of two World Wars, the trauma of Afghanistan and the massive damage of ongoing unrest in the Middle East, but it’s too easy to pontificate from my comfy chair in western Canada. I can’t speak from experience (for which I am eternally grateful). None of my loved ones have been sacrificed in service to their country.

So I watch the faces of the veterans during Remembrance Day ceremonies and wonder how they must feel, knowing that the world they fought to improve is spiralling deeper into despair in spite of their heroic efforts. And now that those who survived WWII are dwindling in number, we are reminded of the men and women who fought in Afghanistan and the Persian Gulf, and those on assignment as peacekeepers in hotbeds of civil conflict everywhere else but here. I’m glad I’m not a soldier, or that none of my sibs or nieces or nephews chose a military career. Of course I believe in reverence for those who perish in battle … but on a day when thousands of refugees are flooding out of Syria because of yet another war (or is it part of a big, long, never ending one?), I’m starting to think more about the victims of war than of the heroes who fight them.

It isn’t working, people. Can’t we just stop?

No comments:

Post a Comment