Sunday 19 August 2018

It’s a Tapsalteerie World




My parents would occasionally ask me if I kent what a particular word or phrase means in the Scottish vernacular. Having been raised by a pair of Fife accents, I consider myself fairly familiar with the day to day lingo, and much of what I grew up hearing is now part of my own patter. Hence I was often able to respond with the correct definition. “Peelie-wally”, for instance, was how Mum once described the maraschino cherry in a tin of fruit cocktail, so when they tried it on me some years ago, my answer came easily. “It means puny and pathetic.”

According to my copy of The Pocket Guide to Scottish Words, it actually means “pale and ill-looking”, which is close enough.

A couple of years ago, one of them (I don’t remember which, but they were both present and smiling) asked me, “Do you know of ‘tapsalteerie’?”

I had to stop laughing before I answered. “No, that’s a new one!”

“What do ye think it means?”

I didn’t have to think for long. Sounding it out first, I took a stab with, “Topsy-turvy?”

Bingo! It means upside down, in a muddle, and confusion.

It also describes my world of late. My dear mother was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer shortly after my June 10 post and on the 29th ... well, the world went tapsalteerie.

It’s righting itself one step at a time – closer to two steps forward and one back, really – but eight weeks on, there is progress... I think. It’s a process, right? The spiritual being having a human experience? Well, shoot. What is more human than birth and death? I’ve just been lucky to avoid dealing directly with the latter until a couple of months ago. I had hoped, perhaps with some hubris, that my belief in the Big Picture would have eased the grief of mortality. Colour me humbled. Despite my unshakeable faith that she is safe, loved, and more available to me now than she ever was in the flesh, the vacuum of Mum’s absence from this world still sucks out loud. I haven’t cried so much since forever.

She left orders that I neither weep nor wail, to which I confess, “So much for that!” None of it at CR, though. This not the place—but if anything I learn as a result of wading through what seems an insurmountable loss can help somebody else, it’s worth sharing. I began this blog four months before my mother knew about it, and while she may have been my greatest fan (not to mention a quarter of my audience), my quest for enlightenment and creative expression must continue for as long as I am here. It’s my journey, after all. I’m so grateful she was with me for the greater part of it. She taught me to be wonderful. She let me be myself, yet she lent me traits so reminiscent of her that the best compliment I can receive is, “You’re just like your mother.” Whether or not she understood or agreed with me, she read every post on this darned blog and took pride in my gift with the written word. She was exactly what I needed. She was the best.

It’s a tapsalteerie world without her, but I’ll get used to it in time.

Thanks, Mum.

With love,



6 comments:

  1. Beautiful Mum Greig, bestowed more gifts to you than you could ever imagine. And never fear, she will ALWAYS be your biggest fan. That is eternal, my friend.

    Also, thank you for sharing those Scot words. Once I get a handle on how to pronouce them (thanks, Google) I'll put them to good use in her honour.

    So much love to you. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beanie. (I'm sure there's a Scottish way to phrase that, but I haven't heard it yet.) It means so much to have you sending love and good energy out here - it's been a truly crappy summer despite the little miracles I've spied amidst the debris. So much love from so many people, I am so very lucky and have been from the day I was born. Gratitude is tricky to find in the heart of mourning, but without it I'd be truly lost. Love you too xxoo

      Delete
  2. It took me this long to get the courage up to finally read this. I have no words, I am just feeling now from the depths of my heart. As I said to you after her passing... And now there are two. I will continue on with the good work I have agreed to in another time and place. Did I tell you that I see her more when I look in your eyes than I ever did before? Well, it's true and I am so humbled and so grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you had not said that! Wow, I've always thought Mum was beautiful;; to hear that you see her in my eyes makes me feel a little more beautiful, too. As for "now there are two", I guess it looks that way on the surface, but we know better, don't we? She hasn't cut us adrift; she's just pulling for us on the other side, so we'd both better keep up the good work, eh?

      Delete
  3. Amen Sissy....thank you for writing such a lovely post......some days I think I'm moving forward, and other days.....well not so much. Many of the words you said during the past couple of months have stuck with me, and get me through some of the worst moments......so again, I thank you......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wee 'un, thank you for validating my effort. Lately I've questioned everything I've learned because it's been so hard to accept the mortal loss. Have you noticed that the days themselves are no longer wholly one or the other? I guess it's always been moment to moment, but now I see how a day can consist of mostly good moments with the occasional teary one sprinkled in, and vice versa. Progress, right?

      Thank you so much for chiming in. You just proved my statement that Mum was a fourth of my audience! Love you lots <3

      Delete