Sunday 26 August 2018

“Two Protons”




How did Shakespeare do it? He wrote an entire play (maybe more than one) in iambic pentameter – defined as a poem featuring five feet (or “iambs”) per line. An iamb is two or three syllables with emphasis on the second or third syllable, i.e., “two households, both alike in dignity.” A two-syllable word can be a single iamb, i.e. “alike”, because the emphasis is on syllable number two.

I know. If you’re not a poetry geek – and I’m not – who cares? I am, however, a Shakespeare fan and enough of a word geek to look at Will’s genius and see it as something within my ability to emulate. I mean, five beats per line. How hard can it be?

Harder than it looks, that’s for sure! I wasn’t aiming for a full-length play, either; just a poem. A simple verse that doesn’t even rhyme! My natural rhythm is four iambs per line. Creating space for that fifth beat just about did me in. In fact, this grandiose notion occurred almost a year ago. It slipped off my radar when it proved more difficult than I’d expected and less complex things distracted me from the challenge. It resurfaced last week, when I decided to resume drafting blog posts during my lunch break. I blew the dust off my office “blog log”, took it to my not-normal café, ordered a chocolate chai with extra foam, opened the journal’s cover, and a piece of paper – well-scribbled upon – fell onto the table. Oh, ye gods, I thought, my nod to Shakespeare!

Upon revisiting my effort, I decided it wasn’t that bad. It was, in fact, pretty good, and so my chocolate chai sat cooling by my elbow as I spent the next half-hour counting syllables and rearranging iambs into something loosely resembling a Shakespearean-style verse.

And so, with apologies to the Bard and no further ado, I humbly present my minuscule ode to soul sistah Ter, who is always my better half.

Enjoy!

* * *

Two protons, mirrored in identity,
being sprung from a singular atom, when split and parted
do remain connected as if by a force unseen,
unknown yet known by far better than each knows itself.
For home and home exist with these particles.
’Cross stars and space, identical response is prov’n.
Though dust and dark matter conspire to confound, the bond
Ne’er breaks nor weakens. Twin parts of one whole, space is
an illusion, and real for one is as much for the other.

2 comments:

  1. BRAVO!!! I am unable to do THAT! Oh, reading this aloud is just delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *bows* Thanks, Bean. With you being a poet, I reckon you'd have a good idea of how frickin' difficult this was, lol. Fun, too, though ... if not a bit presumptuous on my part. Humble pie, anyone?

      Delete