Sunday 12 May 2013

Sunday Sermon



I used to be religious. In my teens and twenties – when I already knew everything anyway – I appreciated the structure and the society of the church. I followed the lifestyle easily, probably because I was naturally disinclined to smoke or drink, and while I may have gotten into boy trouble, I never had the chance because, regrettably, I was more interested in them than they were in me. Besides, I was a writer with rheumatoid arthritis, so my preference was to quiet creativity and introspection. I respected God and loved Jesus, followed the commandments as best I could, and confessed when, knowingly or unknowingly, I broke the rules.

But I couldn’t stop asking questions. Worse, I couldn’t blithely accept every answer. I began to notice inconsistencies, disparities and inequalities that God supposedly frowned upon but, in practice, appeared to support. Women were revered and oppressed at the same time. That bugged me. Men were accepted as weaker and more susceptible to temptation, and therefore more readily forgiven. That really bugged me. How was it that such untrustworthy creatures were given authority over the women and children in the congregation, and why were said women and children expected to obey them without question? It was never purely black and white for me, but I went along the path they said was set for me and waited to fulfill my destiny as wife, mother, and dutiful daughter of God.

Well, the path didn’t go where they told me it would—and I suspect they would say it’s my fault. To which I reply, “Phooey.”

I’m actually much happier than I think I would have been had Mr Right shown up in all his godly glory. My spirit is free to explore and decide for myself what works and what doesn’t. I still believe in a greater, infinite power, though the form that power takes is less the god made in man’s image and more a benevolent source of strength which I can call upon as I choose. I’ve always believed that I have more control than I was taught. Now I know it.

I can choose to view the world as a wondrous place of beauty and miracles, or I can choose to live in fear of it. Same with my fellow man. Now I “get” what Jesus was preaching, and you know what? He preached the same principles as Buddah and Mohammed and Ghandi and the Dalai Lama and Jon Bon Jovi:

Love’s the Only Rule. Be here now. Treat yourself with the same kindness and respect as you treat others. Believe in magic. Be grateful. Trust that you will always have exactly what you need. Conduct yourself with integrity. Be honest. Accept change. Create change. Create art. Seek joy. Find beauty. Breathe.

Don’t believe everything you think.

I’m not suggesting that you do all this at once. It’s hard to keep a positive outlook all the time. Just pick one and try it for a day. Just for today … because, really, all there is, is Now.

With love,

2 comments:

  1. Amen, sistah. On this subject, we are of like minds.

    And, like Jon Bon Jovi, Simon LeBon also sang, "All you need is now ..." Absolute truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's worth singing about - we waste so much time and energy on what was and what may never be.

    ReplyDelete