Saturday 6 September 2014

Saltspring Swag


I went with a mission: to find matching earrings for my chakra pendant. Mission accomplished—twice! I also found a silk scarf to accent my new faux leather (you don’t dare wear real leather to Saltspring Island) jacket. Looks like burgundy figures in my winter wardrobe palette this year.

With nothing much else to attract us in the little town of Ganges, Ter and I shopped. The earrings were my prime directive and neither of us was confident enough to stray off the beaten path on our first visit. It was a lot like driving the Saanich Peninsula or north of the Malahat. Silly me. If you squish Vancouver Island and all the Gulf Islands together, you’ll get one big rainforest island. The native flora doesn’t change from rock to rock. Only the fauna does, and the vibe we got from the locals was pleasant enough but I live in a tourist town. I know what the natives think when a stranger shows up in September, and we were most definitely strangers.

The ferry trip was fun; pausing for breakfast was delicious (doesn’t look it, but my toast was GF!); poking around the shops was fruitful, though I wish I’d pulled out the Canon at Black Sheep Books, a shop plucked straight out of Diagon Alley in the Harry Potter stories. Didn’t buy anything, but there is no better place to hang out anywhere than a vintage book store.

Best of all, on returning home, we agreed that Vancouver is too big, Ganges is too small, and that makes Victoria juuuuuust right!

For now.

The trip in pictures:

Ter and Tig in lane 31

the boat we're on
the boat we're usually on
the boat I'd have liked to be on
a perfect day to be on any boat
the wee kirk on the water
pulling in to Fulford Harbour
brekkie at ...

the Tree House proprietor
a tight fit through the front door
the view gets no better than this

3 comments:

  1. Your new earrings are BEAUTIFUL. As is your scarf. Your trip in photos looks amazing, all that peaceful scenery and delicious eats. Pleased for you that you and Ter had such a lovely day.

    I am going to Google Black Sheep Books to see if I can peek. Aren't bookstores like that the best!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are; I was a dunce for not taking a photo while I was there.

      There's a shop in England (more than one, actually) that dates back to the 1700s - if I remember the name I'll post it. Another one is Barter Books, named one of the most beautiful bookstores in the world. Used to be a Victoria railway station, so you can imagine how glorious that place would be to visit!

      Delete