Saturday 20 September 2014

Starting Lines

from "Lord Valentine's Castle", 1979, by Robert Silverberg

The first line is always a killer. It has to be a killer to capture a reader, but can often be the death of the writer struggling to come up with it. Sometimes, like the occasional title, it comes ahead of everything else. Even if it comes easily, it often changes once I get rolling. It happens with blog posts all the time.

One of my favourite opening lines was written by Robert Silverberg to begin Lord Valentine’s Castle. It yanked me into the book so fast that I was practically whiplashed. Aside from the story itself being a good read, I learned a lot from the author as a result of that first line. It opened me up to the world of fantasy; without Silverberg, I might have missed GRRM and thus, perhaps, might never have taken my own crack at it so many years later. More importantly, it confirmed that no matter what the setting, the characters make a story. It helped that Valentine was an amnesiac. Right away, I was compelled to find out who he was and what had happened to him, but if not for that first line …

Joe Abercrombie (author of Best Served Cold, among countless other fantasy novels) made me laugh out loud when he was asked to name the hardest part of writing. “That bit between the first line and the last line,” he said.

Amen, brother.

2 comments:

  1. I am a firm believer in this rule and sometimes drive myself straight to wine and chocolate trying to write a good first line. Now that I have re-read this entry it makes me wonder if maybe that's the reason I'm struggling so much with the story that I have on hold. The first line is a dud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always change it, but if it doesn't grab you as the writer, it might not be worth saving, kid.

      Delete