Tuesday 2 September 2014

So Loved

this was today's entry on Ter's desk calendar - the perfect sentiment!

I woke up that way this morning. Actually, I wake up that way every morning, but I don’t always feel it as acutely as I do on my birthday.

The dreaded Tuesday birthday—also the first day of school when I was a kid, now a vacation day ’cause I’m a grown up and can do what I want. Ter has dropped me in the village for an Asian Mist followed by a flânerie in the rain. It’s rare for September 2 to be anything other than an invigorating mix of crisp and sunny, but this year it’s grey and showery. We had planned a birthday visit to Saltspring Island, but have postponed the trip to tomorrow, when the weather is expected to be better. She’s out spiffing up the Tiguan while I spend the day being loved. An afternoon nap and a teatime birthday bag await. I dunno if I’ll write anything other than this post; I’m still on vacation but am not concerned if I don’t finish one of the three, count ’em three, stories currently in progress. I’ve let go. I write whatever wants to be written and trust it’ll work out in the end. If it doesn’t, that’s what editing is for. If I start to get frustrated with one thing, I switch to something else. Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

But back to being loved. Today I give myself permission to accept it—from Ter, from friends and family, from the universe, and from myself. Worthiness is irrelevant. Love does not judge. Love does not dole itself out by measures of merit. Love does what it does because it can. We’re the ones who put conditions on it, but in truth, it’s always there. All we have to do is accept it.

For one day a year, I do.

But I love everyone else always.

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to my dear friend. There is SO much love coming your way, across the miles, that it is BANANAS! I just arrived home from a grueling work day back from a great long weekend but the best part of these past hours is that your birthday box is now en route. That's right, I high-tailed it to Canada Post and sent the colourful box of East Coast appreciation to you. And in true Bean style, I am prolonging your celebration by being fashionably late with my post office duties. Again.

    I do hope you'll forgive me and please know that the highlight of my day was mailing your pressie. And now, in your honour, I will blast a little Lep and a little JT and even a bit of Sting.

    Happy birthday, darling. Birthday love all around!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Bean - I would expect nothing less (or more, for that matter) than you being fashionably late with the EC box. It's a time honoured tradition which I would not change for the world. I mean, really. Who doesn't like presents whenever? Getting them all in one day creates a blur. This way, things are appreciated as they deserve: one at a time.

    I saw a blurb on the news last night about Canada Post's new sorting station in Vancouver - I admit, I watched the clip with the birthday box in mind. If I had seen a wildly wrapped package on the conveyor, I'd have guessed it was from you! Nice to know we've both escaped notoriety except in our own minds.

    Love you too, on birthdays, Christmas, Easter, Valentine's, Yom Kippur and so on ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The post gal giggled when she was measuring the b'day box and said, 'This is so pretty and I bet whoever the recipient is will smile ear to ear.'

      Delete
    2. I haven't seen it yet and my face is already tired from the grin!

      Delete