Wednesday 17 June 2015

Season Finale

3 cups in 6 years - one more and they'll have a quart


The Chicago Blackhawks have won their third Stanley Cup in six years. Good for them! It’s hard to win one in this age of salary caps and unrestricted free agents, but team management was able to keep the core group together, led by the truly indomitable Jonathan Toews. That kid (kid?? He’s twenty-seven years old!) is the James T. Kirk of the NHL. I’ve seen him carry that team on his back when they’re slumping, and in a duel of captains in the final series, he showed will and grit that Steve Stamkos only dreams of having.

I should probably dislike the Hawks the way I dislike the Islanders; after all, that twerp Patrick Kane scored the OT winner in Game 7 against the Flyers in 2011 and it took me all summer to get over it. Meh. It’s enough for me to not like Patrick Kane. I do like that the whole team gave Roberto Luongo conniptions in various playoff series over the Vancouver years, again led by their Valyrian steel captain.

I paid off my playoff pool debt and collected my regular season pool winnings, yesterday. When the math was finally done, the whole enchilada cost me $5 and gave me the dubious distinction of being one half of the first-ever tie for a money spot.

So hockey mania is over for another year.

Well, three and a half months.

No comments:

Post a Comment