Saturday 12 March 2016

A Patient Man


The first season of Vikings was hilariously painful, but once our hero, Farmer Ragnar, through a series of strategic manoeuvres, became King Ragnar, things got a little interesting. A new cast of characters in England (specifically Wessex) expanded the story in season two, and I have to admit, I kinda like the shifty King Ecbert because I cannot for the life of me figure out his game. In season three, the Vikings tried to take Paris, which brought in another band of individuals, mostly a pushy Frankish princess and a nutty Mercian queen, but through it all, Ragnar has maintained his magnetic mystique.

Four episodes into season four, and I’m hooked.

Is it possible for an actor to earn an Emmy by saying nothing? Travis Fimmell probably has fewer lines per episode than any other actor in the series, yet he owns every scene he’s in whether he speaks or not. He can simply sit and stare, and I’m enthralled. It’s not like he’s eye candy, either—he modelled when he was younger, but he’s matured into, well, a Viking. Age and scruffiness haven’t dimmed the wattage in his smile, though. When he flashes teeth, it’s like panning along the bench at a World Cup hockey game. The beauty in a Viking smile is unparalleled.

Let’s just forget that he’s actually Australian.

The annoying characters have remained so, alas, but Ragnar’s enigmatic methods have appeased my frustration with them. Floki the Nutcase, for instance, has bugged the h*** out of me for three seasons, but crossed Ragnar last year by making a deluded gaffe and has paid dearly for it—to the point where he may have been driven sane (not a typo) while awaiting the killing blow that hasn’t come yet.

Then there’s Princess “My Father Was A Gott” Aslaug, who replaced Lagertha as Ragnar’s wife in season two—why, I still can’t fathom because Lagertha kicks serious butt and I may just have answered my own question. In any case, Aslaug has also crossed Ragnar and is paying the consequence. The honeymoon is definitely over.

Firstborn son has grown up and is fighting to prove worthy of Dad’s affection. First wife now rules over a neighbouring community but I think she’s still in love with Ragnar so we’ll see where that leads, especially since he’s become so disenchanted with Aslaug. Older brother Rollo, whose jealousy of Ragnar is eclipsed only by his idiocy in trying more than once to overthrow him, is stranded in Paris and being wooed by the local aristocracy in hope of keeping the barbarian horde from crashing the city gates. I’m pretty sure he’ll oblige them just to piss off his little brother.

And through it all, Ragnar watches in patient solitude, listening, assessing, planning and swiftly executing. He’s a complicated man, seldom lovable, sometimes infuriating, always entertaining.

And he has the best lines. Last week’s episode had him speaking directly to the camera:

“I am constantly torn between killing myself, or everyone around me.”

I - love - this - guy!

4 comments:

  1. Gah. I always meant to watch this show. I will add the DVDs on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be forewarned, the first season is pretty much a setup for seasons to follow; everything happens so improbably fast that you're snorting with "yeah, right" through almost every episode. Ragnar is a character worth watching, though. He's awesome.

      Delete
  2. Who knew?, right? Ragnar Rocks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a bigger hoot watching him with you, bud. I love our Saturday night viewings!

    ReplyDelete