Sunday 19 June 2016

Writing Happens


Or it doesn’t. Today, it didn’t. So, naturally, I decide to write about it.

To be fair, writing has been happening. In fits and starts, but happening nonetheless. Last weekend, I gave myself permission to ignore the blog and focus solely on one of my unfinished masterpieces, which is now just about finished. I’ve got one, maybe two scenes left to write then, ta da! another one will be in the can.

My “Diva” cycle has evolved in that each exercise now requires more than twenty minutes to produce. That’s against the rules. It hasn’t stopped me from writing about Eleanor Bond; it’s just taking me longer to write each scene. I am trying to retain my view of it as an exercise, knowing that, if I change my perception of it, I may also change my attitude and run the risk of letting it perish in the “in progress” folder. It’s really too promising a piece, though when I’m working on it, I’m still in love.

I also ran into another half-finished series of related scenes in an unrelated order that got me all excited about organizing and completing the full story, so as a creative, I am still “on it”. I’m just not writing about it so much.

My focus has been elsewhere of late. I’ve spent a whole lot of time at the office, mentally and physically, while helping to prep for conferences and workshops. A few weeks ago, Ter said to me, “when are you planning to take a few days off?” and I realized I haven’t had a chunk o’ time since Christmas, so no wonder I’ve slipped off the writerly rail.

In answer to Ter’s question, I’m taking next week off. I can hardly wait. It won’t all be writing, of course, but a darned good chunk of it will be spent with my junky old computer, tying up old projects and delving deeper into new ones (I started a dandy a fortnight ago, then got – big surprise – distracted). Mostly, I anticipate living life at Ru speed rather than warp or Mach or hyperspace speed, and reconnecting with myself for a few days. I actually like me. Spending time with me is a good thing. I must do more of it!

With love,

1 comment:

  1. I like you too!

    I hope you have a splendid time hanging out with my dear friend, Ru. <3

    ReplyDelete