Monday 4 November 2013

Published

 
 
My dear mother is determined to make me famous – or at least to get me published. After I posted the expanded version of Café Nuit last month, she sent me a link to the Canada Writes literary competition for short fiction, personal non-fiction and/or poetry. She thought perhaps Odette and François would be suitable for entry.
 
I thought so, too. The story was written in 2013. Only a few people had read it and no one had paid me for the privilege. The word count was 350 over the maximum, so I had to rework it a bit. I managed to bring it in at 1471 (the requisite was between 1200 and 1500) without damaging the integrity of the piece, and once that was done, I clicked the link to review the rules and regs.
 
All entries were to be original, unpublished works. Since my copyright had not been forfeited for a fee or the piece posted online at someone else’s website, I figured mine would count. Wrong-o.
 
Apparently, a piece that is posted on one’s own personal website is considered “published”.
Gee, maybe I should have been warned when I started the blog. Once a piece is drafted and ready to upload, the go button says “publish”. Should that have been my first hint? I asked the question of the competition experts, who kindly responded with a suggestion that the answer to my question could be found at the included link (no simple “yes” or “no”, but a list of “Nine Mistakes Made by Competition Hopefuls” or words to that effect – my answer was named in mistake #2). So, bugger the competition. I can post my original work at Comfortable Rebellion with confidence that my copyright is intact. Better yet, my mother can tell anyone she likes that her daughter is A PUBLISHED WRITER and it will be true. I may be self-published on a personal web page, but I am published nonetheless.
 
Now … how to make money doing this …

2 comments:

  1. Gack. Did I virtually screw my chances by starting my blog? Sad face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer to think of us as hidden gems in cyberspace. One day, the handsome prince will come, be enchanted by our talent, and offer us big fat contracts to let us pursue our bliss! Until then, everything I publish here is a free sample.

      Delete