Sunday 11 May 2014

The Kindest Thing

Mum and Ru 2005
During a creative exercise some years ago, I was asked: “What was the kindest thing anyone has ever done for you?”

Gee. Kind things are done for me all the time, even when I don’t see them. A few examples popped immediately to mind, but none of them were more than moments—strangers stopping to see if I was okay after I slipped on a frosty sidewalk; friends dropping a box of non-perishable foodstuffs on our doorstep when Ter and I were broke; coffees bought or hugs exchanged or smiles offered all counted if I simply wanted to answer the question, but I thought seriously about it because the kindest thing ever suggested selecting a single item from a half-century stuffed with possibilities.

I actually came up with one. The kindest thing anyone has ever done for me?

My mother wanted me.

She didn’t just want me; she contrived to get me, and once she had me, I lacked for nothing. I wasn’t spoiled with material things, but from my first breath I was loved. In a world where children are too often born by accident or nefarious design, my mother made her kids the center of her universe. I was luckier than my sibs—I came just after my older sister began kindergarten and my parents’ best friends welcomed a newbie to their family. Timing is everything, so I scored big.

Nelson Mandela said that you can tell a lot about a society by the way it treats its children. Even in the poorest conditions, children can be loved and taught to believe in themselves. Regrettably, this is not always the case. I see the evidence in my job and in the people around me; in the adult children of women who did the best they could, but perhaps lacked the focus my mother possessed. Raising children is so hard that I’m glad I don’t have any of my own, but if I had become a mother, I hope I’d have been as wonderful to my daughter as mine has been to me.

Happy Mother’s Day.

1 comment:

  1. I am certain you would have been, Ru. You had an excellent adviser.

    ReplyDelete