Saturday 17 May 2014

Who’s Coming to Dinner?


Another creative exercise was to invite 20 people, living or dead, to dinner. I gave myself the #20 spot, as even numbers ensure that no one is left without a supper partner. Circulating with cocktails ahead of the meal doesn’t require a specific pairing:

1. Terri (duh)
2. Nicole (poet)
3. Oscar Wilde (poet/playwright)
4. Will Shakespeare (poet/playwright)
5. Simon LeBon (poet/singer)
6. Agatha Christie (writer)
7. Victor Borge (musician/comedian)
8. Danny Kaye (actor/comedian/performer)
9. Bernie Taupin (poet)
10. Diana Gabaldon (writer)
11. Samuel Pepys (diarist)
12. Auguste Rodin (artist/sculptor)
13. Giancarlo Bernini (artist/sculptor)
14. John Singer Sargent (artist/painter)
15. David Brenner (comedian)
16. Jim Henson (puppeteer)
17. Herb Ritts (photographer)
18. Franco Zeffirelli (director)
19. The Mystery Guest (?)
20. Me

Then I had to create the party list, menu and theme of the evening.

Theme: “Art and Artists—Writers, Poets Artists, Actors, Performers and the Art of Creativity”
Discuss: inspiration
Demonstrate: process
Discuss: craft
Perform: sing, dance, tell a story, recite a poem, tell a joke, reveal a master’s secret.

I must say here that I loathe parties—particularly large ones, which means those attended by a greater number than four (and I am counted among the 4). As far as the menu plan, you’ve got to be kidding. What to feed 20 varied people from the span of centuries? Make it a potluck; everyone bring something to share. I’ll make the cake: white, with vanilla butter cream and a custard filling.

* * *

Eagle eyes in the audience will recall that this piece briefly appeared last Wednesday, but when it went live, the formatting was so wildly out of whack that  I pulled it to fix the problem.

Have I mentioned how I hate MS Word?

4 comments:

  1. Can I sit between Simon LeBon and Jim Henson?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, but I'm probably on Simon's other side

      Delete
  2. Can I vote on who the "mystery guest" will be? *giggle*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mystery guest is like God - he/she can be whomever you envision :)

      Delete