Wednesday 15 October 2014

Pool Party

The winning roster for 2014/15!

Draft day at the office – at 12:15, doors closed all over the 8th floor and things got very quiet as this year’s hockey pool draft got underway.

My strategy this time out relies more on projected stats than beauty – “Ruthie’s Rogues” were a good-looking gang in 13/14, but pulchritude only got me to 7th spot by the end of the regular season.

“Ruthie’s Rebels” is this year’s group and, may I say, they appear to have a good mix of looks, youth, experience and potential. I did nab hometown boy Jamie Benn from Dallas. Used to be I wouldn’t pick a Star, but those days are apparently done. I doubt I’ll ever say that about the Bruins, Islanders, Devils or Rangers. I’ll quit pooling before I pick anyone, superstar or no, from any of those hellspawn teams.

Now, if we can get the Flyers to win a game sometime before Christmas, and if Voracek can rack up a few pool points for me in the process, I’ll be happy. I mean, really. Four games into the season and they’re 0-2-2, garnering a don’t-spend-them-all-in-one-place 2 points and sitting in 27th spot. Out of 30.

%^$#*&

No comments:

Post a Comment