Wednesday 23 December 2015

Peak-A-Boo


It’s two days before Christmas and I’m almost done. Really. I’ve got a few more sock stuffers to get and we’re baking cookies this afternoon, but everything else is pretty well finished … including me!

Don’t get me wrong. I love Christmas. The lights, the music, the socializing, the food; it’s a kaleidoscope of colour and sound that remains unmatched by any other season.

It’s also exhausting. And with retailers out to score as much coin as they can in the precious few weeks surrounding the holiday, it’s easy to resent the occasion as much as anticipate it.

I managed to pace myself this year, squeezing in little bouts of shopping during coffee and lunch breaks before vacation, and running at warp speed to complete the to-do list once free of my harness. (Thank the gods for the magical “third paycheque” this month.) I’ve visited with family and attended too many celebratory teas/lunches/parties with my co-workers. I’ve enjoyed it all, but I’ll be happy when it’s over … kind of the way my father feels when visitors depart for home.

Last year, Ter and I bundled up and took a walk through the neighbourhood late on Christmas Eve. It was clear night and the sky spread wide overhead was sprinkled with stars. I don’t know why a winter sky sparkles more intensely than any other sky. Maybe it’s our distance from the sun that makes the darkness darker and the starlight frostier. No risk of a repeat this year—rain is in the forecast—but the silence close to midnight was sublime.

That’s the moment I treasure most at Christmas. The stores are closed, the presents wrapped and the pantry stocked. Neighbours, friends and family have been duly cherished and are tucked into their own homes to celebrate their own Christmas Days. The wee bears spend the night with their tree, lights on, and I go to sleep knowing I’ve done all I can even if it wasn’t all I wanted to do.

That’s when snow would be welcome.

Merry Christmas.

With love,

No comments:

Post a Comment