Saturday 9 January 2016

Dark Dynasty



Of course I’ve seen the new Star Wars movie! Of course it’s a blast! J.J. Abrams directed and Lawrence Kasdan co-wrote—how can it fail?

It doesn’t … except perhaps in the most critical area of an epic battle between good and evil.

The villain is a petulant adolescent rather than a deeply disturbed and thoroughly traumatized adult.

Sigh.

The kid tries his best to be rotten, but he’s up against a legend, and even if Darth Vader became a pop icon instead of a modern-day Mephistopheles, he still packed a heavier punch in a galaxy far, far away than the reedy stripling who swears to avenge him.

Um, he doesn’t need avenging, kid. He was redeemed at the end of Episode VI.

So here’s hoping that we get some back story in the next movie, because without a darned good reason for his subversive behaviour in this one, I have a problem with a baddie who needs a timeout and a good spanking.

The Empire Strikes Back remains my favourite of the franchise. All hail Lord Vader!

2 comments:

  1. I had my very first date seeing 'Empire Strikes Back. Dad Myers took us, Daniel and I. We went to Steak & Stein first for dinner. There, a classmate was dining with his parents and teased us endlessly the next day at school but dang did we love that movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still the best, though I have no memory of when or with whom I saw it the first time (it predates meeting Ter!)

      Delete