Wednesday 3 July 2013

Cake

Expect and Ye Shall Receive

The power of my mind is truly astounding.

All weekend, I lamented the absence of cake. Every day, I thought I want cake. Chocolate, vanilla or spice, I longed for a taste of tender crumbly texture and thick sticky icing. Being gluten-free has never sucked so badly.

Throwing it out there made magic happen.

Yesterday, before I even exchanged greetings with my tea fairy, she held up her hand and said, “Wait; I have to give you something.” Her best friend is a fabulous cook and experimental baker whose latest endeavour happens to be ... cake! Better yet, gluten free chocolate cake! I guess Treena had mentioned my flourless existence to her and she had promptly offered up a chunk – and I mean chunk – of her most recent creation.

It was so beautiful, so welcome, that I took a picture of it. I had to carve it in half first, as it’s so dense that light bends around it, and even the knife blade wavered under pressure. Devouring the entire piece would have been gluttony of the most ungrateful sort. Besides, Treena had warned me – she, a connoisseur of artisan delicacies, was only able to consume a few bites of her piece before she was overwhelmed by its opaque Sithness. My tolerance for sweets has lowered over the years, so it was sound advice.

I intended one or two bites, maybe half of what you see on the plate. It was deep, dark, dense, rich, not-too-sweet and utterly delicious.

I ate the whole thing and went to bed with a tummy ache.

2 comments:

  1. I cried big cake tears as I read this while eating my banana. Pretending it was cake just didn't cut it. I wonder, if I pray to the Baking God will I get cake too!?

    I tried to crawl into your photograph but my head wouldn't fit through my computer monitor. *facepalm*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Augh, banana + cake = banana cake, which would have been even better!!! I don't actually pray, Beanie. I EXPECT. Doing it sans attitude is a trick, but it works if you can do it in the right spirit, which would be with gratitude (I told you, it's tricky).

      Delete