Saturday 29 March 2014

I Love TSN2!



The trouble with following an American hockey team is that Canadian stations rarely broadcast Flyer games unless they’re in the playoffs; however, TSN2 picks up their signal from NBC. Thanks to the Shaw digital box (where there are upwards of 400 stations and nights when there’s still nothing worth watching), this year I have seen more regular season Philly games – sometimes in Philadelphia – than I did when the NHL consisted of 21 teams!

Puck drop is usually around the time I get home, so if Ter comes in and the TV is on, she’s guaranteed to find Basher on the coffee table and me drinking buttered rum tea, warming up my vocal cords for inevitably poor language midway through the first period. It’s nice when the boys win, but I’m just thrilled to see them often enough to match faces with numbers … though looking along the bench the other night, I realized that the majority of the lads are shaggy, strawberry blond, and sporting various degrees of scruff on their toothless mugs.

They’re also clinging to third spot in their division, behind the New York Rangers and doomed to play them in the first round if things remain as they are. They were in NY when this pic was taken (and lost the game, ^%$&*#), reminding me that, had I spied Ron Duguay instead of Bobby Clarke that fateful day in 1974, I would have been a Rangers fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment