Wednesday 5 March 2014

Oscars Wild


There was a time when I watched the Academy Awards to see how my favourite movies fared. These days, I watch them to see what’s worth seeing after the fact. And to see who’s wearing what, of course, and if the host can do better than Bob Hope, Billy Crystal, or Steve Martin did in their time. Awards as rule mean little to me, but the Oscars are an event. Even when they suck, they’re still the Oscars.

Ellen DeGeneres made them more fun, this year. Movies are magic and she has the right blend of humour and wide-eyed wonder to let the starts shine in their designer best. Her face in the “selfie that crashed Twitter” says it all: “Look, Ma! An ordinary kid in the midst of a constellation!” Honestly, I loved it enough to post it and copyright be hanged. I’d happily have Ellen host into the next millennium.

Alas, there were no real surprises among the winners except for the original song. I was stunned when Let it Go from “Frozen” beat out U2 and Pharrell Williams. I was dancing to Happy and bobbing to Ordinary Love, so was floored when neither of them scored the little golden guy. I thought for sure the political nod would go to U2 for their song (featured in “Mandela”), but “Frozen”, I am told, is also political. It’s the first Disney animated pic where the heroine is rescued not by the traditionally strong and handsome prince, but by another girl (her sister)! Oops. Well, having being enlightened, the song still left me cold.

Same for the naysayers who question that the selfie and pizza segments were staged. Um, these people are actors, folks. Staged or not, their job is to make us believe it’s for real. So buy in and enjoy, for Pete’s sake. Besides, if it was a staged promo, it failed because I’m not running out to buy a Samsung iPhone. As a spontaneous show of fun, however, they knocked it out of the park.

I love the movies. I don’t go to them as much anymore—too many explosions and too little story—but the cinema had a powerful influence on my budding creativity (not to mention my hormones) when I was a teen. It can still inspire me to rend my garments and wail, “I wish I’d written that!”

Hey, I’m only 52. I may yet write that Oscar-winning screenplay, perhaps adapted from my own original work.

I’d like to thank God, my family, and the Academy …

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the Oscars. They ARE an event even when they suck. I thought it was a little bit long but I sit there with a lump in my throat every single time someone wins. These people work HARD and they do make absolute magic. I thought Ellen was fun and light. That selfie has been posted/tweeted/ emailed/posted more times than any other photograph of celebs in recent memory. I stayed up for the very last award and paid for it the next working day but I enjoy the fashion and the accolades for those who are passionate about their craft. Matthew even did the impossible and made me a fan. I am now watching 'True Detectives' and I am hooked, largely to his performance and that is a mouthful for me to say because I have always loathed he and his movies. His speech made me weep like a little baby. And of course, seeing Philip Seymour Hoffman close out the long list of those lost last year had me bawling too.

    I think I just rambled, man. Too much coffee this afternoon with my invoicing. Hee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving True Detective! I felt the same about Matthew until I decided to check TD out ... if only because I'm paying for HBO and watching nowt but GoT and Bill Maher. Anyway (now who's rambling?), Jared Leto's award as well as Matthew's has Ter and me planning to watch Dallas Buyers Club, probably this weekend ... Its good to see who's doing what in the fantasy world, yes?

      Delete