Wednesday 23 October 2013

Sleepy Hollow



With Halloween lurking, it’s time to spook things up a bit. I’ll start by raving with confidence about my new favourite show – an updated version of Sleepy Hollow executive-produced by the writer-geniuses behind the rebooted Star Trek films. I watched the first episode, loved it, made Ter watch it on demand, she loved it, and now we’re both hooked. Count us among the loyal followers known collectively as “Sleepy Heads”. 

Normally, I’d say nothing. I have a habit of flipping out over things that the rest of the world doesn’t get, ergo any TV show in which I see potential will disappear in six weeks or less. In the days of Twin Peaks, NBC tried a forensic crime drama called Unsub that was simply too far ahead of its time and thus did not last. Ter and I were on board from the first episode, which is especially ironic since we watch none of the series so popular nowadays, most of which owe their success to that sick little show being the first of their kind: FBI forensics team investigates murder scenes and builds a profile of the killer, who is then hunted down and brought to justice. Sound familiar? It’s all the rage ... now. 

About ten years ago, a new spin on Tarzan was attempted. Sure, it was kinda hokey, but it was harmless fun and Travis Fimmell was yummy in the title loincloth. It should at least have played out its first season, but no, it was axed after six episodes. 

Sleepy Hollow, however, has already been signed to a second season, so either the rest of the TV viewing public is finally getting up to speed, or my standards are dropping. In any event, the actor playing Ichabod Crane – a comely fellow named Tom Mison – is simply superb, as is Nicole Beharie in the female lead. Their rapport developed quickly and is part of the fun in watching, but there’s other creepily cool stuff in the plot: witches and demons and the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, all trying to bust through and destroy the world as per the Book of Revelation. It’s such a good show that we were vexed when the local station re-ran the pilot instead of a new episode this week, doubtless trying to snag those folks who are hearing about it from other people and going, “Sleepy what?” (Actually, it was to excuse regular viewers who care about the World Series – Fox is broadcasting the baseball finals, which means we’re screwed for next Monday, as well.) 

So if you missed it on the first round, now is your chance to find it on demand and get caught up before November 4. I dare you not to fall in love with Ichabod and his buttery British accent!

1 comment:

  1. I missed the boat on this show. I was in that mood where I was feeling like I watched too much TV, now I regret it. I did start watching 'Dracula'. Jury is still out for the time being. I need to see more.

    ReplyDelete