Tuesday 7 January 2014

Bee Here Now




One summer day, I watched a honey bee collect pollen from a flowering bush in the garden. I initially paused to inspect the bee itself – accustomed to fat fuzzy bumblebees, I saw something resembling a wasp wearing a furry jacket and wanted a closer look. How diligent the bee was, given the size of the bush and the territory he had to cover. I studied his technique for a minute, vastly impressed. Then I noticed something else. He wasn’t the only bee in the bush. There were lots of honey bees harvesting pollen from the flowers; I just hadn’t seen them at first. They certainly hadn’t arrived after me – I would definitely have noticed an approaching swarm (and likely not stuck around to welcome them). They simply came into consciousness as I stood still.

The Honeybee Observation occurred a few years ago, but the lesson has stayed with me. I’m always jumping around from thought to thought, bouncing back and forth between the past and the future. No wonder I remember less and less; I’m rarely present enough to retain anything from a given moment!

How much more will I see if I stop and look? How much more will I hear if I take more than a second to listen?

Slow down. Stand still. Pay attention. Be amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment