Wednesday 8 January 2014

Going for Gold

Team Canada - 2010

The Canadian men’s Olympic hockey team was named yesterday. No real surprises, a couple of disappointments, and at least one derisive smirk – but while I could go the Leaf fan route and downplay the team’s chances in Sochi, I’ve decided to get fully behind them and cheer until they reach the Finnish line. Did I say Finnish? I meant finish. Silly me; still smarting from the world juniors. Anyway, who knows? Despite naysayers and injuries, past stats and increasingly skilled opposition in the Games, the Canadian guys could very well win gold! They have to believe it going in, else why bother? And we have to believe it, too. Expecting failure is a good way to ensure it … though I hope Carey Price is the starting goalie over “24 second Lou”. Pittsburgh played in Vancouver last night; before the game I wondered if Sidney Crosby would skate up to Luongo and say, “Am I gonna have to save your a** like I did in 2010?” Ter replied that such trash talk wouldn’t be terribly captain-like, and after a short debate about what constitutes unsportsmanlike conduct, she suggested that the classier comment would be something like, “I’ve got your back, buddy.”

Which is why she’s a cut above me in the realm of hockey fandom.

The discussion was moot in any case. Luongo is out with an ankle injury for 1 to 2 weeks, so Price’s chances are looking good. I hope he crashes and burns tonight, though – les Habs are in Philadelphia and the Flyers are on a roll. They beat New Jersey last night, 3 - 1 in regulation.

In other news, I’m on pace to finish the first draft of Shade’s story before I go back to work in five days. I have a few significant scenes and the ending left to do. I’m hoping the former will lead the latter into writing itself, as it’s not immediately clear to me how this story will be resolved. It’s taken me months to get this far, so obviously patience is the key. Patience, and me trusting the muse. I don’t even know what to call it – a romance, a mystery, a fantasy, or what. No title yet, either. Tiny details designed to distract me from the greater work, so before I get hung up on the trivial, I’d better focus on the main event.

Kind of like Team Canada will have to do for the Olympics.

No comments:

Post a Comment