Friday 24 January 2014

The Importance of Tea (Part VII)


“Serenitea”




A treasured day off. After two weeks of recalibrating to the office routine, I have a day to myself … and I’ve given myself permission to indulge. The Ocean Room is warmed up, I have Nicole’s new story to read, and yesterday I bought nine handrolled balls of peach momotaro—a blooming tea that tastes of fresh peach and cost a king’s ransom. Never let it be said that I don’t know how to care for myself; I don’t always do it, but when I’m drained and need Ru time, I make it count. As Cal Leandros has said, “Desperate times call for criminally overpriced tea.” A fortnight of work following vacation probably doesn’t classify as “desperate times” (not by Cal’s estimation, anyway); however, my batteries need charging in a big way. That’s close enough for me.

I have brewed a pot of China gold, Nic’s story awaits, and I have the rest of the morning in which to enjoy both. Perhaps this afternoon, I’ll take the Canon on a photographic flânerie, then flake on the couch and listen to a vintage Alan Parsons album from start to finish. Tales of Mystery and Imagination seems to fit the mood. Now that I’m done with Shade, my mind is turning toward another project, but there’s no pressure. Not today. Today is all about the moment and being in it … one drop at a time.

1 comment: