Sunday 1 March 2015

Still Out of It …



 … but at least we’re no further behind. With nineteen more games in the regular season, a miracle will have to occur for the Flyers to make the playoffs. I, however, believe in miracles so am doggedly refusing to write off the team at this late date.

Last night’s win against the Rangers was sweet only because New York took the first three games this season, twice shutting Philly out without King Henrik between the pipes. (^&%$#*) Winning this one at home took some doing, but the boys managed to eke out a victory. Checking the stats this morning, I see that “We’re #20!” and are on a current streak of … one win!

It was also hopeful to see Sean Couturier stepping up, as I lost Tyler Seguin to a knee injury a while ago and have called upon Couts to replace him on my pool team. Statistically, it’s a bit like replacing Hercules with Pee Wee Herman, but the kid earned me two points last night and I’m taking them. For a few days I was actually in danger of eclipsing my executive director in the office standings, so perhaps it was fortuitous that my heavy horse went down – now the big boss has a stranglehold on fourth place and my job is secure for the nonce.

Seriously, I doubt that Philadelphia will make the playoffs. If they surprise me, the hope is that they’ll be in “kill or be killed” mode when they get there and will slice through the competition like a hot knife through butter. The alternative is to become a temporary Canucks fan, as the kids called up to fill in for Vancouver’s injured vets are playing their hearts out and dragging the oldies toward the post-season by youthful enthusiasm alone.

Clearly, I’m expecting that miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment