Sunday 6 April 2014

Hear Me Roar!


There was never any doubt, just a little internal reluctance to commit myself entirely, but as of yesterday, I’ve thrown in completely with House Lannister.

A charming family, as you can see by the write up accompanying my latest acquisition. A Vancouver jeweler called Pyrrha got permission to create a line of sigil bling for the Game of Thrones houses and, well, I just had to scoop the Lannister lion.

Declaring for the Dark Side a) takes more courage than you’d think, and b) prompted me to ponder precisely what has attracted me to this particular family. It started with the Kingslayer, and in truth, after five books and three TV seasons, he and his literally little brother remain the sole objects of my, er, admiration. The rest of the family live by a code that directly opposes my own. If moral values count for anything, I should have signed with Team Stark—they’re the heroes of the piece, but the direwolf in their sigil just doesn’t do it for me. So after much thought, I’ve deduced that the Lannisters have called to me from a previous life. Or lives.

Seriously. It’s not a stretch for someone whose current clan sigil is also a lion, with a motto stating “Royal is My Race”, to accept that, some other place at some other time, I was, or was closely associated with, royalty. Ter razzes me about it all the time. For as long as I can remember, I’ve imagined that I was stolen from the royal nursery to be raised by a lovely middle-class Scottish family, which was to my benefit because I’d not have it any other way.

While wealth alone means little to me, the trappings of royalty seem distantly familiar—crimsons and golds, cavernous halls and luxurious coaches, rich food and fizzy wine, aimless socializing and a stream of servants fussing with hair and clothes and domestic maintenance. Some of these things I’ve replicated in this life, though I resent having to do some of the domestic maintenance myself, and I recognize now, from my middle-class point of view, that wealthy ruling families become wealthy ruling families by being ruthless rat bastards. That’s how kings were made. That’s why the MacGregors ruled the Scottish Highlands until Robert the Bruce listened to our arch rivals and made us into outlaws. Proof that being royal is not the same as being rich, sniff sniff.

I was not spoiled as a child, so my attitude of entitlement must have come from somewhere. And when I reclaim my former majesterial status, I will remember where I came from and try harder to alleviate the common man’s plight. In the meantime, I will wear my lion with pride.

Just don’t call me “princess”.

4 comments:

  1. Well, I guess it's a bit of an irony that I had just walked into the Ocean room after being on my feet for the last few hours, performing my duties as a good and dedicated house Elf, that I thought "Geez it takes a lot of work sometimes to keep this house running". I am sure that I said that in another life as well, and probably whilst I was serving the MacGregor Clan in some fashion!!
    PS As you know, I have a deep fondness for Wolves, so House Stark it is for me. Game on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now.....time for some correction, revision or just plain education I think.
    First, the MacGregors were outlawed in, or around 1603 after the Union of the Crowns, when the king was James VI. A few of the brave lads were hunting stags on the King's property, when they were noticed by the Gamekeeper, one John Drummond who was going to report them to the King. Rather that allow that to happen, they killed said John and were outlawed by KJVI.
    Now Robert the Bruce died in 1329, some 300 years previous to the above mentioned outlawing, therefore...etc., etc., etc.
    And,as the patriarch of the lovely middle class Scottish family who kidnapped you, I also say, "Baloney." I fondly remember the first time I saw you. You were all of twenty minutes old, lying in your Mother's arms and the reason I know this is because I remember being astounded at the beauty of the babe that was lying there.
    In particular I recall saying, "Look at her eyelids, they are translucent and you can see the tiny veins in her eyes." Sorry to rain on your parade, but never mind, you are still as beautiful as you were then and I'm glad that I kicked the ass of the Gypsies who came looking for you!!
    Your declaring for the "dark side" is a common enough trait in we humans I'm afraid.
    The evil and unscrupulous are always remembered long after the kind and loving are forgotten. My favourite in the GOT is Caterina Sforza. As Shakespeare...who else....said in the words of Marc Anthony,"The evil that men (and women) do lives after them. The good is oft interred with their bones."
    My goodness....don't you wish that I had never found out how to comment on your blogs?
    Love as always,
    Dad. AKA "Lord Greig of Glencoe."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crap, Dad - I mean, your Lordship! I had an affair with James VI's grandson! And you tell me I got the damned dates wrong??? The horror of betraying my clan will haunt me until the next time I do something similar. &^%*$ So much more fun to blame the Bruce for our troubles.

      Now I get to remind you of something - Caterina Sforza was the villainess in The Borgias, not GoT, and you have to wonder, given who the protagonists were in that series, if she really was the baddie.

      Thanks for punting the Gypsies. I'm much happier being your daughter than I'd be as a princess royal.

      Delete
    2. Your Highness,
      Well done...you found my intentional mistake which I included to check your awareness.
      Next time you write to the Marines, you can include that information to them.
      Curtsies and genuflections,
      Dad

      Delete