Wednesday 16 April 2014

Playoffs 2014

This year's Swear Jar - I'll be broke before June

Heh. The Flyers are in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. The Canucks and Leafs are not. When one of the office poolies canvassed the rest of us about a playoff pool, one of the others grumbled, “No Canadian teams made it. Who cares?”

Apparently he’s not a Montreal Canadiens fan, ’cause they’re in, but national pride doesn’t extend to the big league. If you don’t cheer for les Habs during the regular season, you’re unlikely to cheer for them as sole Canadian content in the playoffs.

My father never expects the Leafs to have a post-season, so the outcome this year won’t have destroyed him. My younger older brother and co., however, have not been heard from since the Canucks were officially eliminated from contention last week. To them I say … “Pity me, guys. My team made it!”

If I ever develop a substance abuse habit, it will be during the playoffs. If I need sedation, anti-depressants, psychotherapy, or a blend of all three, it’s during the playoffs. I spend more time in the fetal position during the playoffs. Every win is a stay of execution. Every loss is cause for Ter to hide the razors. The further the Flyers get into the post-season, the tighter my springs are wound. Why do I do this? Why do I care? It’s a freaking game, for crying out sideways.

Oh, who am I kidding? It’s life or death until the best team wins, and if that team isn’t the Philadelphia Flyers, then my grudge against the winner gets smaller and colder and harder and blacker until it sits like a ball of jagged ice in the very root of my being.

$#&^* Let’s get this ordeal over with …

No comments:

Post a Comment