Friday 18 April 2014

Pool Fodder


Well, that sucked. Game one of the first round went to the Rangers in NY, 4-1 over Philly. Not surprising, but disappointing nonetheless. The Flyers came out hitting but couldn’t get a face off in the offensive zone and during the second period, I saw New York starting to pull ahead in the speed/finesse department. After the Flyers took a double minor halfway through the third, I racked up most of my penalty dollars. $7.50 by the end of the game. The final ten minutes killed me. They say the first game isn’t that important, which is probably true, but when the Flyers haven’t won in New York since 2011 and the Rangers have home advantage, some reframing had better be on deck or we’re $%^&*ed.

Looks like we’ll have to hurt Brad Richards. More targeted players to follow.

And while I refused more than one offer, in the end I signed on for the playoff pool at work. My Rogues did so well in the regular season pool, after all. I thought I’d end up in 8th place except for a mad points rush in the final week that moved me into 7th. Clearly I am wanted in the playoff pool merely to increase the jackpot. It’s okay, though. Being included with the boys gives me special status around the office—I can talk hockey with the best of them. When Trevor Linden was named President of the Vancouver Canucks this week, one of the guys stopped by to ask what I thought about it. “It’s great,” I said. “I love Trevor!” (No treason here; who doesn’t love Trevor???)

He smirked and surveyed the décor around my room. “So, are you going to start putting the Canucks colours in here?”

“Get out of my office,” I growled.

Boys. Sheesh.

Game two of the Flyers/Rangers from Madison Square Garden on Sunday at 9:00 a.m. PST. I’d better get more coins …

No comments:

Post a Comment