Monday 23 June 2014

Carpe Diem


There is a brief space between sleeping and waking when you are neither your dreams nor your thoughts. You are yourself. The space is neutral, utterly devoid of memory or anticipation, and if you recognize that space, you can use it to set the tone for your day.

In that neutral space, before you remember the fight you had with your spouse or the stupid staff meeting you must attend at 2:00 p.m., you can gain a foothold in the mood of your choice:

“I will fill my day with (insert here).”

Think it. Say it. The sentiment is energy, and energy attracts like energy. If you can sustain a thought for 17 seconds, it will attract a similar, more detailed thought. Sustain that thought for another 17 seconds, and a third, even more powerful step is taken toward managing the day. Positive breeds positive, negative breeds negative. Pick one and watch the blooming result. You don’t wake up in a mood; you wake up and remember something that ignites your mood.

It doesn’t have to be that way.

When I first heard of this “neutral space”, I decided to look for it myself. My first attempt was pretty successful: I opened my eyes, saw the space and promptly filled it with, “I will fill my day with joy and love.” Then I fell back asleep and dreamed of puppies.

Okay, starting while on vacation made it easier to choose joy and creativity over resentment and dissatisfaction, and I admit that I went down in flames on returning to work, but I scored some momentum during my time off. Granted, being awakened by the alarm sends me straight to the swear jar; however, I have learned to catch myself before the downslide gets perpendicular. I tell myself, “Whoa, stop!” That kills the momentum so I can regain control of my thoughts. I’m teaching myself to start each day with “I will fill my day with …” It’s still easier on weekends, but I’m gaining some momentum for the workweek.

So you had a fight with your spouse. That stupid staff meeting will go ahead. How you decide to resolve the inevitable is up to you, but truly, why would anyone knowingly choose to be in a bad mood? It only makes life harder, and life happens anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment