Friday 5 April 2013

In Walked the Moon



in walked the moon

first you were a face
a rapture of skin and bone
artful and artless
cast in luminescent glow

then you were a smile
a blissful contemplation
of the innocence in whimsy
and the joy in guileless play

when you told me your name
the mystery unfurled
you revealed yourself a jester
on a journey of your own

you became a muse
a spirit to inspire
mystic dancer poised on tiptoe
between wax and wane
 
one day you’ll be a memory
your stars no more aligned with mine
but each night you’ll be with me
for you have become the moon
 

March 1, 2011
© Ruth R.Greig

I believe in what I call “light beings”—spirits so pure and powerful in their natural state that they shine bright white. I even know a few. Ter is one. Nicole is another. The only other one I’ve met inspired this poem, and since today is his birthday, I thought I’d share it.

He didn’t stay long, but his brief presence in my life initiated such dramatic change that I can’t help but be grateful for him. In his purest form, he’s a light being. He is also mortal and following his own path. He proved to me that the orbits of two vastly different worlds can occasionally cross, and when they do, magic happens. He taught me the value of play (and how sad is it that I needed teaching??) He introduced me to the music of Matthew Schoening and reintroduced me to my muse. He was mysterious and sweet and lovely and frustrating and funny and delightful and scary smart about many things. He dropped in and out so fast that he might never have happened except that I remember him whenever I see the moon.

Happy birthday, Joelique.
 
With love,

2 comments:

  1. I always wonder what it must be like to be someone's Muse. I know what it is like to *have* one. It is powerful, inspiration, when it comes from a living, breathing, remarkable human being. I think it so beautiful that gorgeous words are culled *because* someone lightens the sky, touches your life, graces the earth just to incite poetry.

    Happy birthday, Joelique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still wonder how it was that he inspired poetry in someone who doesn't write poetry, but as I said, the crossing of orbits made magic.

    ReplyDelete