Sunday 7 December 2014

We’re 26th!



We won! And we’re still 26th in the league!

I missed much of yesterday’s game. With a road record of 2-9-2 (3-9-2 now), and having already lost to the other two-thirds of the Californian axis of evil, the Flyers’ visit to LA seemed doomed, especially considering that their former captain and his wing man are now Kings and might have a bit of an ax to grind. So, with it being a 1:00 start, I chose lunch out with Ter, followed by a leisurely stroll along the main street of Gracepoint (locally known as Oak Bay Avenue) and laundry when we got home. I even debated the need for buttered rum tea, and Basher gave me a look of Do I have to? when I fetched him for the third period.

“We’re ahead 2-0 after the second,” I told him, hardly believing it myself.

He acquiesced and I shot some Captain Morgan into my tea. An ex-Flyer scored on them in the third—Justin Williams, who left Philadelphia many years ago—but the boys hung on to win in regulation. They had also nabbed a point in Anaheim, losing in a shootout. “How can you score five goals in a game and still lose?” used to be a question for Toronto fans alone, but these days anything goes. And the Sharks edged them 2-1 in San Jose. Close; so close, and still … we’re 26, we’re 26!

And over in office hockey pool, Ruthie’s Rebels are settling in to 7th spot despite me drafting high-powered point-grabbers in Jake Voracek, Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn. I declined the mid-season (already?) re-draft on the excuse that I’d just had the team photo taken and am hopeful that my guys can hoist me a little closer to the top five before the trade deadline in March.

I’m still having issues with the Rogers takeover of broadcast rights, too. HNIC under Strombo is just annoying, so Ter and I are hardly watching Saturday night hockey anymore. Thank the hockey gods that most Canuck games are called by the two Johns, but even then we’re not paying as close attention as we’ve done in prior years. It’s enough to get the highlights from Global TV in Vancouver.

I miss TSN. I miss Ron MacLean and PJ Stock on the panel at HNIC. I miss being a diehard viewer on Saturday night. Mostly, I miss the Flyers being a top 10 team. A miracle will be required to haul them out of the basement … but miracles are what  Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment